Recipe Sampler - Salads and Dressings
Asparagus Vinaigrette Salad
This is a very well-balanced protein-carbohydrate dish
Serves 4: 1 cup water; 2 pounds fresh asparagus; 3 tablespoons cider vinegar; 1 tablespoon olive oil; 1/8 teaspoon pepper; 1/8 teaspoon salt; 1 hard boiled egg, chopped; 2 sweet pickles, chopped
- In a large skillet on medium high heat, combine water and asparagus. Cook, covered, until tender.
- Remove asparagus from skillet and place in a 9" X 13" pan. Discard water.
- In a small bowl, mix vinegar, oil, pepper and salt.
- Evenly pour vinegar mixture over asparagus.
- Cover and allow to chill in refrigerator for 40 minutes.
- Place asparagus on serving plates and top with egg and pickles.
This is a high low-level carbohydrate vegetable dish. Optionally add protein food of choice. This miracle worker is chock-full of natural fat-burners. It tastes great with our Oriental Vinaigrette Dressing. A truly delicious way to help melt away unwanted pounds!
Serves 4: 2 cups mixed leafy greens such as spinach, red leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, and bokchoy; 1/3 bell pepper, sliced; 1/2 red onion, sliced; 4 cherry tomatoes, sliced; 1/2 cup celery, sliced; 1/2 cucumber, sliced; 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced; 3/4 cup broccoli florets; 1/4 cup cabbage, shredded
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mix, and serve.
Tip: Add a spoonful or two of avocado if you want a creamier texture when the dressing is mixed in (it blends with the dressing to create a cream-like consistency), and if you don't mind the little bit of (healthful) extra fat.
Southwestern Turkey Salad with Salsa
This is a high-protein dish, with plenty of good vegetables. Optionally add balanced food.
This is an easily prepared, delicious turkey dish surrounded with tomatoes and olives.
Serves 4 to 6: 1 package (approx. 1 pound) 99% fat-free ground turkey breast; 12-ounce jar mild or hot salsa (to taste; 2 zucchini, sliced 1/8 inch, blanched; cup chopped fresh parsley; 2 tomatoes, sliced into wedges; 10 pitted ripe olives; Seasoning salt, to taste
- Cover bottom of 10-inch skillet with small amount of water
- Crumble ground turkey; cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink (8 to 10 minutes). Drain liquid.
- Stir in salsa; cook until mixture is heated through (5-6 minutes).
- Blanch zucchini by placing them in boiling water for about one minute. Rinse immediately with cold water. Slice.
- On each dinner plate, arrange blanched zucchini slices around inside rim of plate. Spoon turkey mixture over the zucchini.
- Arrange tomato wedges across turkey mixture. Salt to taste.
- Garnish by sprinkling with parsley and olives, and serve.
Soy Sauce/Vinegar Seed Dressing
The seeds here provide some fat, some protein. All in all, this dressing is usable anytime. Make as much as you want!
The combination of robustly flavored ingredients makes this an irresistible dressing. Wow, it's good! You can make a whole lot of it and keep in the refrigerator for weeks, using it as you go.
Ingredients: 4 parts of your favorite vinegar; 2 parts soy sauce; (optional) 1 part of your favorite red wine; roasted brown sesame seeds, to taste; toasted sunflower seeds, to taste
- Sesame seeds may be roasted in a dry frying pan over medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning, until seeds turn slightly browner.
- Sunflower seeds may be toasted right along with the sesame seeds, in the same manner
Creamy Green Dressing
This is a high-protein dressing, yet creamy too. Amazing! The only fat is in the tofu, and it's not very much.
Makes approximately 3 cups: 3/4 pound soft tofu; 7 fresh spinach leaves; 1/3 green pepper, finely chopped; 1 scallion, finely chopped; 1 tablespoon lemon juice; 3 tablespoons cider vinegar; 1/2 cup water (bottled); 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 tablespoon fresh); 1/4 teaspoon pepper of your choice; 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt (seasoning salt preferred)
- Put all the ingredients into a blender, and blend until very smooth. You may need to stop and (carefully!) push some of the ingredients down so they blend properly.
- You can use any of your favorite spices, such as oregano, thyme, tarragon, etc., to experiment with this basic recipe.
- Keep in refrigerator, where it will last about one week.
Oriental Vinaigrette Dressing
Use this dressing to your heart's content, whenever and as often as you like.
It's delicious, healthful, and adds virtually no calories.
Ingredients: 3 cup fat-free chicken broth; 1/2 teaspoon hot chili sauce; 1 garlic clove, minced; 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds; 3 tablespoons soy sauce; 1 teaspoon spicy mustard; 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- Mix together, and pour over your favorite salad